Real Estate Development Fundamentals
Friday, February 3, 2023 9:00 AM - Friday, February 10, 2023 12:00 PM (EST)
This two day course is focused on planning and implementing real estate development projects and what it means to be a real estate developer. In this class, students will gain an understanding of the process of real estate development, including:
- Design and construction; how to mass a building on a site based on zoning and dimensional restrictions
- How developers engage with the public sector and the surrounding community to obtain approval for a development – and necessary tradeoffs in that process
- The legal aspects of development
- The ways that development is a catalyst for neighborhood improvement and local economic growth
- How projects are financed
- Trends in sustainable development
- Other important elements that contribute to completing successful real estate projects.
The primary student outcomes are an improved ability to understand the diverse risks that need to be managed in development, the roles and responsibilities of the development team, and techniques to control land and build a successful project. Students will also be joined by guest speaker Michael Dalton, Principal at Avison Young.
Senior Lecturer, Boston College, Carroll School of Management
Cancellations must be received by 5:00 pm Monday, January 30th for a refund. Please contact Debbie Osheroff, firstname.lastname@example.org.