Environmental Planning Specialist I
Beals + Thomas is seeking a mid-level Environmental Planning Specialist to work collaboratively as part of our multidisciplinary team. As part of B+T’s Planning and Environmental Services discipline, you will work with our team of civil engineers, land surveyors, and landscape architects to provide land use permitting and environmental planning support for a variety of private and public sector development and conservation projects.
At B+T, we know that the foundation of our reputation and success lies with our staff. We focus on providing superior services to bring our clients’ vision to reality by using our varied expertise, which we grow by investing in our employees’ careers.
We are proud not only of our commitment to our B+T team and clients, but also our dedication to preserving the integrity of the New England landscape through sound environmental design for nearly 40 years.
About the Position
The successful candidate will be relied on to provide regulatory and permitting support to our design teams. Thorough understanding of the Massachusetts land use regulatory framework, as well as experience permitting pursuant to municipal codes, is required. Federal permitting experience, and field skills such as wetland resource area delineation are desirable.
The individual will be based out of our Southborough headquarters with a hybrid schedule incorporating work from home days. Travel will be required (mostly within Massachusetts, but occasionally to other New England states) to perform municipal research, fieldwork, meetings, and public hearings.
Assignments may include but not be limited to:
- Fieldwork to conduct inland and coastal resource area delineations, wildlife habitat evaluations, and other environmental assessments as applicable
- Research regarding site constraints and history
- Research, obtain and analyze data and information to prepare written reports, planning, and feasibility studies, which can be complex
- Documentation of existing and proposed site conditions
- Evaluation of project compliance with applicable local/state/federal regulations
- Preparation of environmental impact reports and evaluations
- Preparation of application packages for submittal to approving authorities and associated coordination
- Project representation and presentation at meetings, site visits, and public hearings. These can occur outside of normal working hours (e.g. evenings/weekends)
- Address client issues and questions as required, with direction from Senior Staff as warranted
- As appropriate, assist with municipal peer review services for various project types under the direction of the responsible professional,
- Undertake limited supervised project management activities, including coordinating with clients, other consultants, municipal staff and other stakeholders, scheduling projects and monitoring budgets, with direction from Project Directors
- Participate in professional activities and organizations, including evening and weekend events
Position, Skills, and Experience
Four-year degree and two years' relevant experience, or two-year degree and four years relevant experience
- Satisfied education, experience, and other requirements for professional certifications if applicable (e.g. WPIT/PWS, CESSWI, etc.)
- Thorough understanding of local, state, and federal land use and environmental laws and regulations, particularly as they apply in Massachusetts (e.g. MA Wetlands Protection Act and local bylaws/ordinances, Chapter 91 Waterways, 401 Water Quality Certification, Massachusetts Endangered Species Act, Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act, Section 10 of the Rivers and Harbors Act and Section 404 of the Clean Water Act, etc.)
- Possess strong organizational skills and ability to follow-through on assignments, complete tasks accurately and within required timeframes, which are at times expedited, and coordinate internally and externally on aspects of the project germane to their specific tasks to facilitate smooth project completion
- Strong written and oral communication
- Interpersonal and client interaction skills
- Proficient with equipment and software pertinent to the performance of professional practice, such as the Microsoft Office suite, LiDAR, and GIS
Please e-mail your application and resume to email@example.com
Job Type : Full-Time, Part-time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree, Associate Degree
Experience Level : Entry Level